My name is John-Pierre but most everyone calls me JP.
Born a nerd, I am constantly enamored by comics, cartoons, sci-fi, hi-tech, low-tech, fashion, graphic design, fine art and most likely any other random subject you could muster. With that said, I also followed popular culture in the form of sports, entertainment, cultural events and found a way to incorporate both "sides" into my life.
Growing up in California in the 80's, there wasn't much provided education wise that related to my interests so I taught myself a lot as I do even until the present day. If i'm not familiar with something, I will be in no time. Growing up during this period also means I am fervent about 80's and 90's pop culture.
After graduating from the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles with a degree in Graphic Design and Apparel Design I dove head first into the creative industry. Gaining experience in Graphic Design, Apparel Design, Product Design, Industrial Design, Web Design, Brand Identity, Visual Merchandising, Apparel Merchandising, Creative Direction and Brand Image Consulting. Basically if it has to do with creative thinking then I have had my hands in it.
My specialties include a passion for design that isn't easily matched. Running the gamut from Design Ideation, Design Visualization, Creative Direction, Design Evolution.
I spend my free time indulging in my hobbies and passions which can include hand crafted industrial design or teaching myself to cook a new recipe. I also enjoy a good beef brisket.
Feel free to contact me with any questions or to chat about anything. Or if you'd like to recite Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift line for line with me.
~ Feed the soul, starve the ego. ~
(Please see links to blog, instagram, and linkedin at bottom of page)
(download resume below)
Freelance Graphic Design
Madison Square Garden, Manhattan, NY
· Conceptualized and created graphic designs and assets based on briefs from department heads.
· Projects include order forms, POP, layout work, in-store advertising and more. All work was created print ready.
· Geared towards the sports teams that call Madison Square Garden home. The New York Knicks (NBA), The New York Liberty (WNBA), and The New York Rangers (NHL).
Creative Director/Apparel Designer Director
Massive LLC, Manhattan, NY
· Conceptualized, designed and developed 6 in-house lines under the company umbrella from concept to completion.
· Spearheaded apparel ideation, initial sketching, seasonal direction, technical drawing, thread and material approval, trade show booth conception, lab dips, production strike-offs, graphic design, graphic pattern design, color card, merchandising, brand identity and brand direction.
· Successfully converted the companies client base from off-price and discount retailers to specialty boutiques and high end department stores.
· Drove the creative direction and shipped our mobile game app on iOS called Mad Monkey Kung Fu geared at children ages 3-6. Simple mechanics and gameplay made it successful and easy to pick up and play.
· Worked with our developers to produce a brand accurate and fun game design that reached our target audience.
Element Skateboards / Plan B Skateboards, Irvine, CA
· Ideated and developed all graphic elements and applications for the apparel and t-shirt lines.
· Main duties included t-shirt graphics, apparel applique, and label packages.
· Contributed in catalog layout, sampling and sample strike offs, production strike offs, matrix creation, accessory design, and accessory packs.
· I was able to cultivate the independent streetwear vibe and incorporate it into the athletic aesthetic Plan B is known for.
· Assembled research and reference tears as well as taking reference trips to create mood boards for each seasons design direction.
Kid Robot, Santa Monica, CA
· Helped open the company’s new retail location.
· Helped to build a customer base from new and returning customers.
· Ordered store product stock based on trends and highlights from our location.
· Facilitated any art shows the store had including Shepard Fairey, Os Gemeos, Friends with You, Tristan Eaton, Huck Gee, DJ Shadow and many more.
· Helped build a celebrity customer base as well as a figure concierge service.
Digital Gravel, Los Angeles, CA
· Composed graphic layouts for daily product updates to our e-Commerce site including product shots, website layout, and the uploading of all product related graphics.
· Forged new relationships with established and up and coming brands to introduce to our customers.
· Additional contributions included producing any media advertising layouts, event promotion, and graphic designs for the in-house apparel brand “Nonsense”.
· Assisted in building Digital Gravel into one of the most well visited and shopped e-commerce sites dedicated to streetwear culture for almost a decade.
Green Apple Tree, Los Angeles, CA
· Produced a wide range of apparel graphics as well as design styles for the cut and sew line.
· Line sheet creation, trade show booth conception and implementation, and retail visual merchandising.
· Graphics and styles I devised helped set the tone for what the line became known for, garnering a greater visibility for consumers as well as increased sales to retailers.
Associates of the Arts in Graphic Design; Fashion Design
Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising, Los Angeles, CA
Computer Engineering; Business Management
California State University, Sacramento, Sacramento, CA
Won award from ICMAD for a cosmetics packaging project. All participants used the same blank container and we had use our imagination along
- Madison Square Garden
- Plan B Skateboards
- Element Skateboards
- Kid Robot
- Mighty Healthy
- Artistry in Motion
- Franks Chop Shop
- Free Nature
- The Hundreds
- The Weinstein Company
- Von Zipper
- DC Shoes
- Digital Gravel
- D9 Reserve
- Logan Zane
- Random Access
- Alpha Beta
- Graphic Design
- Apparel Design
- Hand Drawing/Skeatching
- Paint Medium
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Tech Packs
- Color/Trend Forecasting
- Computer Aided Design
- Creative Direction
- Industrial Design
- Critical Thinking
- Problem Solving
- Being Awesome